Hitchin students collect for foodbank
- Credit: Archant
Students from a secondary school have been working hard collecting food products for those in need.
Pupils from The Priory School in Hitchin have been putting together parcels of non-perishable items for the Hitchin and Letchworth GC foodbank.
Members of the community ambassador group at the school in Bedford Road have been encouraging fellow students to donate products and advertise the cause.
A spokesman for the school said: “We have had immense support from our staff and students and we are very pleased with the efforts of our school. We are sure our donations will be put to good use to support families in the Hitchin and Letchworth area.”
The foodbank, which serves people in and around Hitchin and Letchworth GC, was launched last month by a group of volunteers, with more than 40 people now trained to offer information and advice to those who need help.
You may also want to watch:
Three days’ worth of emergency food is only given to clients with foodbank vouchers, which are given out by professionals such as doctors, health visitors, social workers, Citizen Advice Bureau staff and police who have assessed their needs.
The Hitchin branch is open on Tuesdays and Fridays from 10am to midday at Hitchin Scout Hall, Church of Our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew in Nightingale Road, Hitchin.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 9 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 10 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
The Letchworth GC distribution centre is based at Mrs Howard Memorial Hall, Norton Way South, Letchworth GC, during the same times.
Stevenage and Knebworth Community Food Bank is also open every Friday at Stevenage Borough Council’s offices in Danestrete between 6-8pm.
The foodbank is running a Christmas Food Drive at Asda supermarket in Monkswood Way, Stevenage, between 10am and 5pm today (Saturday).
John Mead, chairman of the foodbank, said: “Recent research shows one in five parents have skipped meals in order to feed their children. We hope the generosity of Asda customers at the food drive will help families in crisis to be able to enjoy Christmas.”
For enquiries for both the Letchworth GC and Hitchin foodbanks call 07580 184586 or email email@example.com
For more information on the Stevenage and Knebworth Community Food Bank email firstname.lastname@example.org