Hitchin Starbucks fire being investigated as arson
- Credit: Archant
A rubbish-bag fire outside Hitchin town centre’s Starbucks last night is being investigated as arson, police have now confirmed.
Police told the Comet they believed someone had deliberately set fire to a pile of rubbish bags outside the café on the corner of Market Place at some point from 12.30am onwards.
“The fire caused significant damage to the window, guttering and bird-spikes,” a spokeswoman for the Herts force said.
Hitchin firefighters were mobilised to the scene at 12.52am, and found the fire out on arrival.
The crew indicated afterwards that the poor locating of the rubbish had contributed to the blaze – adding that firefighters would be giving advice today to both Starbucks and nearby Pizza Express, which also last night had rubbish piled up outside.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information should call police on 101, quoting crime reference 41/17928/18.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 5 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema