Hitchin sportsman awarded trophy in memory of stalwart
- Credit: Archant
A YOUNG sportsman has been awarded a trophy launched in memory of a community stalwart.
Tom Wilson won the Gill Bishop Memorial Trophy for his tennis achievements and community spirit.
The 19-year-old, who plays for St Paul’s Walden Tennis Club, is also a parish councillor, works in the village shop, and coaches the sport.
The trophy was set up in memory of Gill Bishop, who was a member of the Whitwell pavilion project team until she died in January 2008. She also taught PE, both paid and voluntary, and ran junior badminton and tennis clubs.
The Whitwell pavilion management committee launched the trophy, raising money from community events to produce it.
You may also want to watch:
It is awarded every three years to a young person who shows excellence and spirit in sport and community life.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 3 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 4 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 'COVID can't stop us!' - Zimbabwe school fees raised with garden party after Stevenage Day cancelled
- 7 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 8 H-Town Almost Unlocked to celebrate 'eclectic mix' of Hitchin retailers
- 9 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 10 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award