Hitchin sportsman awarded trophy in memory of stalwart
- Credit: Archant
A YOUNG sportsman has been awarded a trophy launched in memory of a community stalwart.
Tom Wilson won the Gill Bishop Memorial Trophy for his tennis achievements and community spirit.
The 19-year-old, who plays for St Paul’s Walden Tennis Club, is also a parish councillor, works in the village shop, and coaches the sport.
The trophy was set up in memory of Gill Bishop, who was a member of the Whitwell pavilion project team until she died in January 2008. She also taught PE, both paid and voluntary, and ran junior badminton and tennis clubs.
The Whitwell pavilion management committee launched the trophy, raising money from community events to produce it.
It is awarded every three years to a young person who shows excellence and spirit in sport and community life.
- 1 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 2 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 5 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 6 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 9 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 10 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know