Hitchin sports clubs celebrate new home with official opening
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Two Hitchin sports clubs have moved into their new state-of-the-art home after its official opening.
Lucas Lane Sports Club hosted an offical opening on Saturday, with residence Hitchin Cricket Club and Blueharts Hockey Club both in attendance.
The new facilities include a two-storey clubhouse, an all-weather pitch and improvements to the cricket ground, with the build taking just 12 months.
Hitchin Town Cricket Ground Limited funded the development after selling off land adjacent to Lucas Lane.
HTGC Ltd chairman Geoff Edwards said: “We have achieved an incredible milestone in the history of both clubs, as we finally bring to life our long-held aspiration of providing first-class sporting facilities at Lucas Lane.”
You may also want to watch:
The new pitch sees hockey return to Lucas Lane, with Blueharts previously having to play home games at Hitchin Boys’ School – as competitive hockey must be played on artificial pitches.
“It has been a dream many years in the making to bring hockey back to Lucas Lane, and we are hugely grateful for the efforts of those who have worked tirelessly to make this dream a reality,” said Geoff.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 5 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 6 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 7 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 8 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 9 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 10 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
“Without this project we faced the very real possibility of having to leave our home.
“We have now secured the future of the Lucas Lane sports ground and our members and the local community will be able to enjoy the new facilities for many years to come.
“We would like to thank everyone involved for their hard work, dedication and understanding throughout this journey as we have worked to deliver this truly exceptional facility.”
To celebrate Saturday’s opening, both the men’s and ladies’ first teams were in action.
That was followed on Sunday by a showcase of the Blueharts hockey family, with the youngters getting to try out the new pitch, before returning players – including members of the club’s first ladies team – playing walking hockey.
Established in 1946, Blueharts currently have seven mens teams and five ladies sides as well as a number of youth teams.
Hitchin Cricket Club have been around for more than 150 years and have been playing at Lucas Lane since 1946.