Hitchin sports bodies submit scheme to safeguard long-term future
- Credit: Archant
Two prominent sporting bodies in Hitchin have now submitted their planning application to North Herts District Council in a bid to safeguard the future of sport at Lucas Lane.
Blueharts Hockey Club and Hitchin Town Cricket Club Ltd are proposing to use the proceeds from the sale of a small strip of land they own to provide funding for an artificial pitch and a modern clubhouse at Lucas Lane.
A spokesman for Blueharts explained: “This will enable us to return to play at Lucas Lane, which we believe is essential for the sporting future of the site.
“There will be sporting and community benefits to this.
“We have also had a comprehensive statement of support from Sport England and support from the England and Wales Cricket Board, and England Hockey.
You may also want to watch:
“A land sale is the only viable means of funding the proposed facilities.
“We also have an independent traffic report which shows winter use will not exceed current summer peak.”
- 1 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 2 Lamb dies after livestock worrying offences in villages
- 3 Assault in Baldock leaves man with cracked eye socket
- 4 9 ways to stay safe while enjoying Stevenage town centre
- 5 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 6 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 7 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 8 Stevenage scientist's award for role in new HIV drugs
- 9 Underpass graffiti celebrating Stevenage unveiled
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?