Hitchin scouts district activity camp break records for numbers!
- Credit: Archant
Records have been broken as more than 500 scouts took part in an activity weekend along with around 200 adult volunteers – making it the largest district camp in the Hitchin history of the movement.
Around 560 young people from Hitchin attended their biennial South District Activity Camp this month where 350 beavers, cubs and scouts aged between eight to 14 camped overnight at the Bromham Scout Site in Bedford.
They were then joined by 170 beavers aged six to eight.
The weekend was packed full of games and activities, aimed at the different ages including caving, attempting a climbing wall, shelter building, archery, air rifle shooting and fire lighting.
They also participated in high ropes, sailing, kayaking, raft building, stand up paddleboating and zorbing.
A spokesman for the Scouts told the Comet: ”Luckily the Scouts were treated to some warm weather so most spent more time jumping into the water than sailing the boats and rafts!”
The weekend finished with a closing ceremony where the young people thanked their Leaders and Helpers for volunteering to help run the camp.
- 1 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 2 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 3 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 6 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 7 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 MP registers another job despite Owen Paterson fallout
- 10 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
If you would like further information about scouting in Hitchin or about becoming a volunteer, visit www.hitchinscouts.org.