Hitchin’s Sophie is setting her sights on Saturday’s star speed stacking
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin schoolgirl is preparing to compete in a national championships this weekend – in the art of speed stacking!
William Ransom Primary school pupil Sophie Godfrey, aged nine, is ready to take on the UK’s best youngsters in the tournament at Nobel School in Stevenage tomorrow – and is hoping to set a new record in her age group.
Sophie’s mum Suzie said: “Sophie first started playing with a set of Speed Stacks when she was seven.
“Her school has a speed stacking club and had a visit from the UK record breaker James Acraman, who inspired Sophie to enter the UK Speed Stacking Championships.
“She’s spending all her spare time at home practicing the different sequences she must complete with very precise accuracy.
“Her current personal best time for the whole cycle is 11.29 seconds.
“Her family are very proud of Sophie, and wish her all the luck in the world for the championships – we hope she enjoys the day very much.”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 7 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 8 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 9 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 10 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
Team UK Sport Stacking manager Roger Acraman said: “There are many benefits including honing hand to eye co-ordination – but also because you use both hands it improves bilateral proficiency which creates new neural networks in the left and right sides of the brain which boosts brain cognition.
“In other words, studies have shown sport stacking to improve academic endeavours.
“I have been following Sophie’s progress and there is a real chance she could be a UK record holder this weekend.”