Hitchin’s Natalie set for a running battle against killer disease
- Credit: Archant
A leading specialist in the field of digestive diseases was so moved by the devastating effects of pancreatic cancer she decided to run the 2016 London Marathon to raise money and awareness on the killer affliction.
Gastroenterology and hepatology expert Natalie Wood, from Perinwinkle Lane, Hitchin, was so determined to raise the profile of the work of Pancreatic Cancer UK she signed up to run the gruelling 26 miles next April.
Keen runner Natalie, who also has a PhD in genetics and molecular biology, said: “Pancreatic cancer is particularly cruel and devastating disease.
“Steve Jobs and Patrick Swayze died from it but there isn’t much awareness on the topic itself. As with all cancers, early diagnosis is the key but all too often diagnosis comes at such a late stage prognosis is poor.
“I love running and I’ve been interested in the London Marathon since I was a child so if I can support in a small way the fantastic work Pancreatic Cancer UK then I’m delighted to.”
You may also want to watch:
To donate visit www.justgiving.com/Natalie-Wood06
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn