Hitchin’s Miss Universe Great Britain finalist Alexa’s cosmetic changes help to empower women
- Credit: Archant
A Miss Universe Great Britain finalist has been busy this week taking selfies of herself without make-up in a bid to boost the cause of female empowerment.
Part time nanny and Morgan Davies Bridal model Alexa Taylor has been staying clear of cosmetics to promote the fact that women – and young women in particular – should not feel pressured to conform to society’s expectations of beauty.
Alexa, of Ickleford Road in Hitchin, is competing in the prestigious Miss Universe Great Britain pageant, while also fundraising for the Strongbones Children’s Charitable Trust which supports the families of children who have disorders of the bone.
The 24-year-old said: “It’s been really great participating in a make-up ban.
“There’s often lots of pressure on young girls and women in today’s society to look ‘perfect’ and I’m hoping as a Miss Universe GB finalist I can help spread the word there’s no such thing, and we should love who is behind the make-up no matter what.
You may also want to watch:
“As part of my no make-up challenge I went to various places in Hitchin, with my I Love Hitchin Bag, to take selfies – like at the top of Windmill Hill!
“It’s all to raise money for Strongbones – but, rather than donate to my JustGiving page, I would love donations for a tombola stall that I’ll be holding in Market Place on Sunday, June 14.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
“If anybody would like to donate prizes for such a great cause then please feel free to contact me via my Facebook page – whether it be individuals or companies, shops or business in Hitchin or North Herts in general.”