Hitchin’s Miss Universe Great Britain finalist Alexa’s cosmetic changes help to empower women
- Credit: Archant
A Miss Universe Great Britain finalist has been busy this week taking selfies of herself without make-up in a bid to boost the cause of female empowerment.
Part time nanny and Morgan Davies Bridal model Alexa Taylor has been staying clear of cosmetics to promote the fact that women – and young women in particular – should not feel pressured to conform to society’s expectations of beauty.
Alexa, of Ickleford Road in Hitchin, is competing in the prestigious Miss Universe Great Britain pageant, while also fundraising for the Strongbones Children’s Charitable Trust which supports the families of children who have disorders of the bone.
The 24-year-old said: “It’s been really great participating in a make-up ban.
“There’s often lots of pressure on young girls and women in today’s society to look ‘perfect’ and I’m hoping as a Miss Universe GB finalist I can help spread the word there’s no such thing, and we should love who is behind the make-up no matter what.
“As part of my no make-up challenge I went to various places in Hitchin, with my I Love Hitchin Bag, to take selfies – like at the top of Windmill Hill!
“It’s all to raise money for Strongbones – but, rather than donate to my JustGiving page, I would love donations for a tombola stall that I’ll be holding in Market Place on Sunday, June 14.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 6 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 9 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 10 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
“If anybody would like to donate prizes for such a great cause then please feel free to contact me via my Facebook page – whether it be individuals or companies, shops or business in Hitchin or North Herts in general.”