Hitchin caterer is East of England’s School Chef of the Year
- Credit: Archant
A caterer from Hitchin is the East of England’s School Chef of the Year after winning the regional final on Tuesday.
Katherine Bridge competed against three other chefs for the title, wowing a panel of judges with her main course of Korean flapjack pork - served with steamed bao bun, sweet potato noodles, kimchi rainbow vegetable salad - and Jaffa mousse brownie with a piped lace biscuit.
The four competitors each prepared four portions of a main course and a dessert suitable for serving to 11 year olds in school.
They were given 90 minutes and had a maximum spend of £1.30 for the cost of a single meal.
Katherine, who works at Breachwood Green JMI School, will now compete in the national finals in March. She said: “I’m delighted and quite amazed.
“It was nerve-wracking. It was a matter of getting all the timings right. It’s an unfamiliar kitchen, but all the practice paid off.”
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 5 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 8 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 9 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam