Hitchin caterer is East of England’s School Chef of the Year
- Credit: Archant
A caterer from Hitchin is the East of England’s School Chef of the Year after winning the regional final on Tuesday.
Katherine Bridge competed against three other chefs for the title, wowing a panel of judges with her main course of Korean flapjack pork - served with steamed bao bun, sweet potato noodles, kimchi rainbow vegetable salad - and Jaffa mousse brownie with a piped lace biscuit.
The four competitors each prepared four portions of a main course and a dessert suitable for serving to 11 year olds in school.
They were given 90 minutes and had a maximum spend of £1.30 for the cost of a single meal.
Katherine, who works at Breachwood Green JMI School, will now compete in the national finals in March. She said: “I’m delighted and quite amazed.
You may also want to watch:
“It was nerve-wracking. It was a matter of getting all the timings right. It’s an unfamiliar kitchen, but all the practice paid off.”
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises