Hitchin’s fire station open day is a roaring success
- Credit: Archant
A fire station open day was a huge hit at the weekend with a large number of parents and children turning out to join in the fun.
The Hitchin Fire Station Open Day – held at their Newtons Way home on Saturday – saw visitors enthralled by teddy bears being fired into the air from an aerial ladder platform!
There were also the usual favourites such as squirting water from a hose, demonstrating cutting equipment, allowing youngsters to don some of kit worn by fire – as well as demonstrations of chip pan fires and otheightersr activities to raise awareness of fire safety.
Watch commander Mark ‘Budge’ Burgess told the Comet: “It was really great to see so many people from Hitchin turn out to celebrate the station’s open day.
“There was a constant flow of people all day, there must have been around 800 people who turned up across the whole event.
You may also want to watch:
“The kids loved the teddy bears being fired into the air – we had around 50 in total!
“We also managed to raise around £400 for our two chosen charities – Motor Neurone Disease Association and the Firefighters Charity which helps sick and injured firefighters and their families.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 5 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
“It was also important that we passed on lots of fire safety advice through our demonstrations.
“A big thank you to everyone.”