Hitchin’s fantastic Fabio savours sweet tastes of success
- Credit: Archant
If you couldn’t wait to try out Hitchin’s new gelateria on its opening weekend, waiting was very much part of the process.
Soaring temperatures saw lengthy but good-natured queues build up outside Fabio’s Gelato in Hermitage Road and ‘sold out’ signs having to be posted after the shop had its entire stock of ice cream snapped up by eager customers.
Fabio Vincenti quit his job as a programmer to follow his dream of running a gelateria with his partner Hannah King.
The 31-year-old said: “We were so busy over the weekend – we had queues that stretched down Hermitage Road throughout Saturday and Sunday. Both days were a complete sell out.
“It’s been a busy few months and Hannah and I have worked so hard, but we’re glad to open in Hitchin and very much hope we can be a great new fixture in the community.
You may also want to watch:
“The response so far has been amazing and long may it continue.
“We’ve had various new flavours on offer including Iron Bru, Jammy Dodgers, Passion Fruit, Bubblegum and Strawberries and Cream – all of which have gone down a treat. I can’t believe we sold out all 24 flavours on offer.
- 1 GP surgery outstrips mass vaccination centre's COVID-19 jab rate
- 2 £10,000 fine handed to organisers of remembrance service that saw 150 attendees
- 3 New mass COVID-19 vaccine centre opens in Letchworth
- 4 Family call on government to lower age of bowel cancer screenings after mum's death
- 5 Council tax to rise as Stevenage residents bear brunt of COVID-19 costs
- 6 Teenager charged with assisting offenders after Stevenage man's death
- 7 Green light for 40-bed homeless shelter in Letchworth
- 8 Council leader reacts to recent stabbings in Stevenage
- 9 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 10 Police station evacuated after explosive device handed in
“We have got big plans, and also aim to locally source as many products as possible including strawberries from Graveley.”
Fabio’s partner Hannah, a former Hitchin Girls’ School pupil and a director of the business, said: “I can’t believe we’re finally up and running, it’s very exciting.
“We’ve had a very busy few weeks preparing to launch and there’s been a few nerves ahead of opening – but we’re absolutely delighted by the fantastic response.
“The support from the community has been amazing. We’re a relaxed family-friendly place and have lots of community-minded ideas we will be putting into practice including providing books for a children’s reading corner, a buggy park, offering mums and toddlers mornings and having community meetings here.”
Creator of the I Love Hitchin bag and mother-of-two Faye Silver visited the shop with her daughters, Evie and Mia.
She said: “Fabio’s Gelato is brilliant. Evie had pineapple sorbet and Mia had vanilla with chocolate swirls which they both loved. I had lemon meringue which was lovely.
“What was nice was it reminded me of a genuine family-run Italian gelato. I didn’t mind them running out of ice cream over the weekend as it shows they make it fresh every day – we all think it’s fantastic to have an ice cream parlour in Hitchin.”