Hitchin’s busy beavers – and scouts – work their way to success
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin scouts celebrated their ongoing success at a presentation evening for all members who gained recognition of any kind for their efforts during the last year.
More than 250 friends and families attended the event and the scouts were joined by Liz Walker, Hertfordshire County Commissioner, who helped present the awards.
Around 80 of 120 awards were made on the night, across beavers, cubs, scouts, explorers and adult leaders.
Derek Gilfillan, deputy district commissioner for Hitchin Scouts said: “It was great to see so many family and friends at our celebration evening to recognise all the hard work which goes into achieving the highest awards available in each scouting section.
“It was also great to present the Award of Merit for service to scouting to Gill Matthews and Kevin Hankin who’ve given up their time to ensure our young people get an everyday adventure!”
You may also want to watch:
Across the Hitchin District group there are more than 900 members with 12 scout groups and three explorer scout units.
As well as weekly meetings where young people work toward a variety of badges through taking part in fun and challenging activities including group camps and outings, the scouts also offer district events such as sleepovers, cub hikes and district camps.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
Scouts also take part in activities as varied as kayaking, abseiling, photography, climbing and zorbing www.hitchinscouts.org.