Hitchin’s busy beavers – and scouts – work their way to success
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin scouts celebrated their ongoing success at a presentation evening for all members who gained recognition of any kind for their efforts during the last year.
More than 250 friends and families attended the event and the scouts were joined by Liz Walker, Hertfordshire County Commissioner, who helped present the awards.
Around 80 of 120 awards were made on the night, across beavers, cubs, scouts, explorers and adult leaders.
Derek Gilfillan, deputy district commissioner for Hitchin Scouts said: “It was great to see so many family and friends at our celebration evening to recognise all the hard work which goes into achieving the highest awards available in each scouting section.
“It was also great to present the Award of Merit for service to scouting to Gill Matthews and Kevin Hankin who’ve given up their time to ensure our young people get an everyday adventure!”
Across the Hitchin District group there are more than 900 members with 12 scout groups and three explorer scout units.
As well as weekly meetings where young people work toward a variety of badges through taking part in fun and challenging activities including group camps and outings, the scouts also offer district events such as sleepovers, cub hikes and district camps.
- 1 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 2 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 3 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 4 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 7 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 8 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 9 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
Scouts also take part in activities as varied as kayaking, abseiling, photography, climbing and zorbing www.hitchinscouts.org.