Hitchin robbery leaves lady, 82, in hospital with head injury
- Credit: Archant
An 82-year-old lady had her handbag snatched in Hitchin yesterday afternoon by a robber who left her needing hospital treatment for a head injury.
Detectives are urgently seeking public assistance after the robbery, which happened in Elmside Walk – between Bedford Road and Fishponds Road, near Hitchin Swimming Centre – at about 3.20pm.
The robber snatched the woman’s black handbag, and during the scuffle the victim lost her footing and fell – causing a head injury that needed hospital treatment. The attacker then fled.
The robber is described as a slightly-built black man with an unshaven face, about 5ft 8in to 5ft 9in tall. He was wearing a black baseball cap, a dark-coloured coat and dark trousers. He carried a black rucksack-type bag.
DC Kathryn Marshall from the local crime unit is investigating. She said: “At this stage we believe the victim was potentially targeted by the offender, who may have been following her before the robbery occurred.
“We need to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time and may have seen anything to come forward.
“This has been a dreadful experience for the victim but thankfully robberies like this are unusual but we need to identify the offender as quickly as possible.”
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 5 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 6 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 7 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 8 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Tens of thousands donated to charity by Hitchin-based construction company
Anyone with information should call police on 101, quoting crime reference G1/17/3141, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.