Hitchin residents angered over human excrement left in playing fields
RESIDENTS are calling for action after witnessing people using newly renovated playing fields near their homes as a human toilet.
North Herts District Council (NHDC) has recently received a complaint that Cadwell Lane Sports Ground in Hitchin contains human excrement.
The grounds, part of which underwent a �10,000 refurbishment earlier this year, are used by children and families on a regular basis.
District councillor Lisa Courts, who reported the problem on behalf of several residents, said she suspected some lorry drivers were behind the problem.
She claimed that it had been ongoing for a while, and that residents had finally had enough.
“This is the straw that has broken the camel’s back. There is just no respect for residents,” she told the Comet.
“It’s a children’s play area, children go out and play there. It’s just not nice.
- 1 Four vehicles crash on A602 near Stevenage
- 2 Person dies after being hit by train between Hatfield and Finsbury Park
- 3 Recap: Person 'hit by a train' between Welwyn Garden City and London
- 4 Woman's purse 'stolen' outside Stevenage Tesco
- 5 Apply for free tickets to see new season of The Masked Singer being filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Beauty products worth 'thousands of pounds' stolen from Hitchin Sainsbury's
- 7 '£1,200 worth of damage' caused during motorbike vandalism
- 8 Stevenage's Forster Country: 'Secret plans' for car park and toilet block
- 9 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 10 Tesco and Aldi among supermarkets issuing 'do not eat' warnings
“It’s bad enough when dog walkers don’t pick up mess, let alone humans. Residents have had enough of being treated like this.”
Anyone who is caught defecating in a public place could be subject to a fine, or face being on the end of a public decency charge.
Following the complaints, council officers are monitoring the situation.
Cllr Bernard Lovewell, portfolio holder for environmental health, said: “We are aware of a complaint about the issue of people using Cadwell Lane Sports Ground as a toilet.
“NHDC’s enforcement officers have been monitoring the situation and will take the appropriate action against anyone who is found acting in such an unpleasant and anti-social way.”