Hitchin residents angered over human excrement left in playing fields
RESIDENTS are calling for action after witnessing people using newly renovated playing fields near their homes as a human toilet.
North Herts District Council (NHDC) has recently received a complaint that Cadwell Lane Sports Ground in Hitchin contains human excrement.
The grounds, part of which underwent a �10,000 refurbishment earlier this year, are used by children and families on a regular basis.
District councillor Lisa Courts, who reported the problem on behalf of several residents, said she suspected some lorry drivers were behind the problem.
She claimed that it had been ongoing for a while, and that residents had finally had enough.
You may also want to watch:
“This is the straw that has broken the camel’s back. There is just no respect for residents,” she told the Comet.
“It’s a children’s play area, children go out and play there. It’s just not nice.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 8 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 9 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
“It’s bad enough when dog walkers don’t pick up mess, let alone humans. Residents have had enough of being treated like this.”
Anyone who is caught defecating in a public place could be subject to a fine, or face being on the end of a public decency charge.
Following the complaints, council officers are monitoring the situation.
Cllr Bernard Lovewell, portfolio holder for environmental health, said: “We are aware of a complaint about the issue of people using Cadwell Lane Sports Ground as a toilet.
“NHDC’s enforcement officers have been monitoring the situation and will take the appropriate action against anyone who is found acting in such an unpleasant and anti-social way.”