Hitchin residents angered over human excrement left in playing fields
RESIDENTS are calling for action after witnessing people using newly renovated playing fields near their homes as a human toilet.
North Herts District Council (NHDC) has recently received a complaint that Cadwell Lane Sports Ground in Hitchin contains human excrement.
The grounds, part of which underwent a �10,000 refurbishment earlier this year, are used by children and families on a regular basis.
District councillor Lisa Courts, who reported the problem on behalf of several residents, said she suspected some lorry drivers were behind the problem.
She claimed that it had been ongoing for a while, and that residents had finally had enough.
“This is the straw that has broken the camel’s back. There is just no respect for residents,” she told the Comet.
“It’s a children’s play area, children go out and play there. It’s just not nice.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 5 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 6 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 9 Christmas Fayre and switch-on attracts hundreds
- 10 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
“It’s bad enough when dog walkers don’t pick up mess, let alone humans. Residents have had enough of being treated like this.”
Anyone who is caught defecating in a public place could be subject to a fine, or face being on the end of a public decency charge.
Following the complaints, council officers are monitoring the situation.
Cllr Bernard Lovewell, portfolio holder for environmental health, said: “We are aware of a complaint about the issue of people using Cadwell Lane Sports Ground as a toilet.
“NHDC’s enforcement officers have been monitoring the situation and will take the appropriate action against anyone who is found acting in such an unpleasant and anti-social way.”