Hitchin Quakers set to launch cookbook to raise funds for homeless
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin group has decided to help the homeless by producing their own cook book.
Hitchin Quakers are to launch their recipe book this evening to raise funds for the North Herts Sanctuary in Grove Road.
Back in 2015, having discovered rough sleepers in the burial ground of their Meeting House in Paynes Park, the Quakers put some of the homeless in contact with the sanctuary, a charity that offers refuge for those living on the streets.
The relationship between the Quakers and North Herts Sanctuary developed from there, as Phil Rowe, a member of the Hitchin group explained.
He said: “We decided to have a regular cake sale at the Meeting House, something that has raised more than £1,350 for the Sanctuary.
You may also want to watch:
“Two of our members, Cathy Rowlands and Gerry Waggott, have baked and made jam for the last two-and-a-half years.”
Hitchin Quakers have now decided to take their baking to the next level.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
Phil said: “As part of this years Hitchin Festival, members have come up with their favourite recipes, both sweet and savoury, producing a recipe book, all proceeds to go to the sanctuary.”
The book is set to be launched tonight from 7pm at the Friends Meeting House in Paynes Park.
Tickets are available on the door, with some of the recipes will be available for tasting.