Hitchin pool tournament for sick baby raises funds for charity
- Credit: Archant
A charity pool tournament organised by the grandparents of a baby who is in intensive care has raised hundreds of pounds for the heart unit that is helping her.
Grandparents Angie and Colin Gray, from Letchworth, held an event at Osinsky’s Bar and Grill in Hitchin last weekend which raised £331 for the Children’s Heart Unit Fund at Freeman Hospital in Newcastle, where their granddaughter Elodie Gray is being looked after.
Elodie, who will be nine months old tomorrow, Friday, remains in intensive care after undergoing a transplant to replace her enlarged heart.
Members of the public were invited to the venue in Market Place to see if they could clear a pool table in 60 seconds – with a £1 donation given for each attempt.
Two trophies were up for grabs to the fastest male and female to clear the balls – with Des Smith the fastest to complete the challenge with a clearance in 57.40 seconds, while Sharron Davies came out on top in 3mins 25secs.
The runners-up were Gordon Fyvie in 58.63secs and Holly Wearmouth.
Angie said: “We would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has donated money to CHUF for our granddaughter. We would also like to thank Osinsky’s Bar and Grill for allowing free use of the pool tables and for their contribution to the raffle, Hitchin and District Pool League for the trophies and Tony Price who helped us organise and run the event.”
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 3 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 8 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 9 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
Another event is being organised to raise funds for the unit with a live gig being held at The Broadhall Suite at Stevenage Football Club on Saturday, September 27.
Call Colin on 07775 798074 for tickets, which cost £10.