Hitchin pool tournament for sick baby raises funds for charity
- Credit: Archant
A charity pool tournament organised by the grandparents of a baby who is in intensive care has raised hundreds of pounds for the heart unit that is helping her.
Grandparents Angie and Colin Gray, from Letchworth, held an event at Osinsky’s Bar and Grill in Hitchin last weekend which raised £331 for the Children’s Heart Unit Fund at Freeman Hospital in Newcastle, where their granddaughter Elodie Gray is being looked after.
Elodie, who will be nine months old tomorrow, Friday, remains in intensive care after undergoing a transplant to replace her enlarged heart.
Members of the public were invited to the venue in Market Place to see if they could clear a pool table in 60 seconds – with a £1 donation given for each attempt.
Two trophies were up for grabs to the fastest male and female to clear the balls – with Des Smith the fastest to complete the challenge with a clearance in 57.40 seconds, while Sharron Davies came out on top in 3mins 25secs.
You may also want to watch:
The runners-up were Gordon Fyvie in 58.63secs and Holly Wearmouth.
Angie said: “We would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has donated money to CHUF for our granddaughter. We would also like to thank Osinsky’s Bar and Grill for allowing free use of the pool tables and for their contribution to the raffle, Hitchin and District Pool League for the trophies and Tony Price who helped us organise and run the event.”
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
Another event is being organised to raise funds for the unit with a live gig being held at The Broadhall Suite at Stevenage Football Club on Saturday, September 27.
Call Colin on 07775 798074 for tickets, which cost £10.