Hitchin police chase ends with drugs-related arrests
- Credit: Archant
Two 22-year-old men have been arrested on suspicion of drugs-related offences after a police chase between Hitchin and Luton late last night.
Officers on patrol in Hitchin spotted a BMW coupe which had been linked to alleged drug dealing, signalling for the car to stop.
Instead, the BMW set off – heading from Hitchin into Luton via several villages, before travelling back into Hitchin after police carried out a sting.
A police helicopter from the National Police Air Service, the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire (BCH) Armed Policing Unit, BCH Road Policing Unit and the BCH Dog Unit, drugs intervention team and members of the Special Constabulary were all involved in the operation.
The BMW was abandoned in Hitchin, with the occupants making off on foot.
You may also want to watch:
Two men, both 22, were subsequently arrested in Walsworth Road, with officers conducting a search of the nearby area and seizing packages which are suspected to be drugs.
One of the men was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, failing to stop when direction by police, and possession with intent to supply class A drugs.
- 1 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 2 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 7 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 8 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 9 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory
The other man was arrested on suspicion of taking a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent, being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug and possession with intent to supply drugs.
Both men remain in police custody today.