Hitchin police chase ends with drugs-related arrests
- Credit: Archant
Two 22-year-old men have been arrested on suspicion of drugs-related offences after a police chase between Hitchin and Luton late last night.
Officers on patrol in Hitchin spotted a BMW coupe which had been linked to alleged drug dealing, signalling for the car to stop.
Instead, the BMW set off – heading from Hitchin into Luton via several villages, before travelling back into Hitchin after police carried out a sting.
A police helicopter from the National Police Air Service, the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire (BCH) Armed Policing Unit, BCH Road Policing Unit and the BCH Dog Unit, drugs intervention team and members of the Special Constabulary were all involved in the operation.
The BMW was abandoned in Hitchin, with the occupants making off on foot.
Two men, both 22, were subsequently arrested in Walsworth Road, with officers conducting a search of the nearby area and seizing packages which are suspected to be drugs.
One of the men was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, failing to stop when direction by police, and possession with intent to supply class A drugs.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 8 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 9 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
The other man was arrested on suspicion of taking a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent, being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug and possession with intent to supply drugs.
Both men remain in police custody today.