Hitchin play area renovation projects to swing into action
- Credit: Archant
Renovation work which will see two Hitchin play areas transformed is set to start today, Monday.
A large play mound is to be built at Walsworth Common with various types of swings, a fenced toddler area and a zip wire.
The new equipment for the play area, which will be shut for about eight weeks while the work takes place, will join the popular ‘megabench’ which was installed earlier this year. The cost will be an estimated £118,000.
Once completed, renovation work on Ransom’s Recreation Ground will get under way, which will include a series of circular play rooms using an earth mound design. The project will also see the play area closed for about eight weeks and will cost £95,000.
A tyre swing, play tunnel, climbing wall and a fenced toddler area will also be added to the area, while the tractor climbing feature is to be restored and reinstalled.
All the work is expected to be completed within eight weeks, and footpaths surrounding both play areas will remain open.
Councillor Jane Gray, responsible for leisure at North Hertfordshire District Council said: “We think these exciting new features and additional equipment will really entice children to get outside and have fun.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 8 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 9 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
“The work will be staggered and undertaken once the school holidays are over so disruption is kept to a minimum.”