Hitchin play area renovation projects to swing into action
- Credit: Archant
Renovation work which will see two Hitchin play areas transformed is set to start today, Monday.
A large play mound is to be built at Walsworth Common with various types of swings, a fenced toddler area and a zip wire.
The new equipment for the play area, which will be shut for about eight weeks while the work takes place, will join the popular ‘megabench’ which was installed earlier this year. The cost will be an estimated £118,000.
Once completed, renovation work on Ransom’s Recreation Ground will get under way, which will include a series of circular play rooms using an earth mound design. The project will also see the play area closed for about eight weeks and will cost £95,000.
A tyre swing, play tunnel, climbing wall and a fenced toddler area will also be added to the area, while the tractor climbing feature is to be restored and reinstalled.
All the work is expected to be completed within eight weeks, and footpaths surrounding both play areas will remain open.
Councillor Jane Gray, responsible for leisure at North Hertfordshire District Council said: “We think these exciting new features and additional equipment will really entice children to get outside and have fun.
- 1 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 2 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 3 Sex offender avoids jail 'by skin of his teeth' after Hitchin assault
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 6 Stevenage's own Lewis Hamilton grabs third in British GP
- 7 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
“The work will be staggered and undertaken once the school holidays are over so disruption is kept to a minimum.”