Hitchin passer-by intervenes to help boy, 14, escape mugging
- Credit: Archant
A passer-by intervened to help a 14-year-old boy escape a mugger in Hitchin – and police have today appealed for witnesses.
The attempted robbery happened on Saturday, January 6, at about 7.40pm.
The victim, a 14-year-old boy, was walking along Bearton Road towards Periwinkle Lane when he was approached by a youth who threatened him with a tool and demanded money.
A member of the public then intervened, allowing the victim time to get away.
The suspect is described as a slim white male, aged 15 to 17, and wearing a black hooded puffa jacket and dark bottoms.
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Georgie Peggie, who is investigating, said: “Thankfully the victim was not injured during the incident but he was understandably unsettled by what happened.
“I am appealing for anybody who might have witnessed the incident get in touch with me. Similarly, I would like to appeal to the member of public who intervened to contact me. You may have vital information which could assist with the investigation.”
Anyone with information should contact the local crime unit at Hitchin Police Station on the non-emergency number 101, quoting crime reference G1/18/61. You can also report information online at herts.police.uk/report.
Alternatively, you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or crimestoppers-uk.org.
- 1 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 2 Lamb dies after livestock worrying offences in villages
- 3 Assault in Baldock leaves man with cracked eye socket
- 4 9 ways to stay safe while enjoying Stevenage town centre
- 5 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 6 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 Stevenage scientist's award for role in new HIV drugs
- 9 Underpass graffiti celebrating Stevenage unveiled
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?