Hitchin opera singer becomes global phenomenon after impromptu performance for colony of penguins gets 500,000 YouTube hits
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin opera singer has become a global sensation this week – after being filmed singing in front of a colony of penguins in Antarctica.
Nick Allen had been booked to perform on a cruise ship touring South America and Antartica, and on a well-earned day off he and two pals decided to take a trip to the frozen land mass.
Dad of one Nick – who singer wife Philippa Healey is a leading lady in the West End – decided to give an impromptu performance of O Sole Mio in front of hundreds of the birds.
However the flightless fliers with their distinctive tuxedo-like appearance were less than impressed with Nick’s wonderful singing – with all of them turning their back on him and waddling off.
The footage turned into an internet sensation overnight, with YouTube views approaching half a million at the time of writing.
You may also want to watch:
Full-time singer Nick told the Comet: “The reaction has been incredible.
“I’ve been interviewed on national American networks, as well as Brazilian, Russian and Japanese TV channels.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
“It’s been completely crazy.
“When we set foot in Antarctica I was with a wildlife expert and a geologist who both said: ‘Why don’t you give the penguins a song?’
“So I did. It was completely impromptu and unscripted.
“As an animal lover the last thing I wanted to do was scare them. Maybe I should have sung the theme tune from Pingu to them instead.
“It was a very surreal experience!”