Hitchin night market is streets ahead for food with a family focus
- Credit: Archant
The brains behind an intiative to bring a night food market to Hitchin are hoping for a big turnout from the town for their next event.
Matt Bean, Victoria Kevans and Jeff Pridmore are aiming to create a London-style ambience with a string of food stalls in Market Place and along the High Street from 4pm next Thursday, August 27.
Matt said: “Victoria, Geoff and I used to visit the street markets in London, and in particular the night markets around places like Dalston in East London.
“We were all blown away by the quality of food there – highlighting that there was nothing comparable in Hitchin, where we all live.
“I started my street food business Catinas Carnitas which offers top quality Mexican food at reasonable prices – it gained a bit of a following, and the feedback we got from people was they wanted to get involved in street food.
You may also want to watch:
“It also proved to us there was huge demand in North Herts for top quality, fresh street food.
“So we started Hitchin Street Food Monthly as a platform to help inspire like-minded people ‘out there’ to the public, as well as getting people involved in trying street food.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“Thursday nights arethe ideal time to hold it. It allows us to have that niche.
“We’ve had great backing from everyone. We served more than 600 people in our first one earlier in the summer, and are hoping for even more next week.
“It’s going to be a great event, we want as many people as possible to come along to a wonderful evening and try something different.”
Victoria, who is the landlady at the Victoria pub in Ickleford Road, added: “Hitchin Night Market will get bigger as there’s nothing comparable around here with street food.
“Street food is more of a casual event which opens it up to families. So many families attended the last event and we’re expecting even more this time around.
“Hitchin’s renowned for its community and we’re offering a fantastic community-based family event in the town.
“Our message is: ‘Come and enjoy yourselves and experience different foods’.
“It’s a family friendly, quality street food event with a great, welcoming vibe.”