Hitchin museum gets visits from politician
A POLITICIAN went back to school, to commend volunteers’ for receiving an award from the Queen.
Herts Labour MEP Richard Howitt was an early visitor to Hitchin’s British Schools’ Museum on its Heritage Open Weekend, as he popped in to praise the museum for a volunteering award it was given.
Representatives from the museum met Her Majesty when she visited Hitchin in June, with 80-year-old volunteer Yvonne Limbrick handed The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service.
Mr Howitt said: “The fun, joy and dedication of the games helpers at the Olympic and Paralympic venues this summer has raised the profile of volunteering to new heights.
“The importance of the contribution of volunteers [at the museum] has now been richly rewarded with the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service.
“The museum’s reliance upon volunteers is of paramount importance. There are currently 150 volunteers registered. Ages, skills and abilities are far ranging. Everyone’s contribution and enthusiasm is appreciated and valued.”
Museum manager Andy Gibbs hailed 2012 “a fantastic year” for the museum, and said that the award had raised its profile.
- 1 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 2 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 3 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 6 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 7 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 8 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 MP registers another job despite Owen Paterson fallout
He added: “We are delighted to welcome Richard Howitt MEP to the museum. We get a lot of overseas visitors to the museum and his visit reminds us of just how much work is carried out right across Europe by dedicated and skilled volunteers.
“The profile of volunteering has perhaps never been so positive. We have had a lot of new applications and will be doing all we can to continue to offer worthwhile and fun opportunities for as many people as possible.”