Hitchin marks Independents’ Day
- Credit: Archant
Crowds came out to support businesses taking part in Independents’ Day at the weekend.
Market Place in Hitchin was packed with visitors on Saturday as some of the town’s independent outlets displayed their wares.
Customers had the chance to browse and buy from a wide range of quirky clothes, furniture, merchandise, gifts and services, while Hertfordshire-based DJ trio The Winchester Collective played music.
Alison Fell–Gordon, the new owner of Eric T Moore books in Bridge Street, said: “We were very pleased with our day in Market Square. We had our best Saturday since we took over so were very thrilled with that. We really appreciated the opportunity to take part and definitely want to be involved next year. So much work goes into an event like this and we were very impressed.”
Hitchin town centre manager Keith Hoskins said: “This is something we always like to participate in because and it is a particular help to those independent businesses that are not necessarily in the main shopping area. It is all about increasing footfall around the whole of the town.”
You may also want to watch:
Independents’ Day was first held four years ago and is a national campaign that promotes and celebrates independent businesses.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 5 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 6 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 10 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie