Hitchin market voted best in Britain
Hitchin market has been voted the best in the country at a prestigious awards ceremony today. The organisers of the national Market of the Year Awards in Birmingham this afternoon announced that Hitchin Market is officially the Best Private Market in Bri
Hitchin market has been voted the best in the country at a prestigious awards ceremony today.
The organisers of the national Market of the Year Awards in Birmingham this afternoon announced that Hitchin Market is officially the Best Private Market in Britain.
The prize was awarded by government minister for markets, Rosie Winterton, who said: "The winners of Markets of the Year 2010 Awards are fantastic examples of how the best innovative markets are thriving. I'm delighted to meet the winners today and congratulate Hitchin Market on its triumph."
The market took the top spot in the category after getting the most votes from the public.
You may also want to watch:
Hitchin town centre manager, Keith Hoskins, who is involved with a current bid to secure more funding for the market, said: "It's very good news and shows a positive vote of confidence by people in Hitchin and the surrounding area and reflects the hard work put into it.
"The local produce and craft market has proved extremely popular down by the river, and we will be moving the continental market there and building that into a successful area.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus