Hitchin Market to remain private
HITCHIN Market will remain private for the next two years, after an agreement was renewed with its contractor last week.
North Herts District Council (NHDC) made the decision to renew the contract with Hitchin Market Limited, which has been in charge of the market’s operation for the past three years.
The company is also responsible for maintaining the site and keeping it clean and tidy.
“We are delighted that NHDC have extended our contract to continue running the market at Hitchin,” said market manager Tony Howes.
“Since we took over the operations running, the number of visitors coming to the market and traders selling goods has risen steadily. We are proud that we can make Hitchin Market a more vibrant place to shop with more variety.”
The market has won a series of awards since being run by the company, including Britain’s Best Private Market last year.
NHDC said that it was pleased to have extended the initial agreement.
- 1 Pupil wins competition to name community space at former bus station
- 2 Stevenage doctor 'filled with pride' after taking home national award
- 3 Man charged following North Herts armed robbery
- 4 Nissan Qashqai damaged during Letchworth 'vandalism'
- 5 Patrols to be increased following alleged arson in Letchworth park
- 6 Coldplay, Sir Elton John and Queen tributes set to headline Todd in the Hole Festival 2023
- 7 Hatfield thief goes to prison days after receiving suspended sentence
- 8 Stevenage's Forster Country: 'Secret plans' for car park and toilet block
- 9 When to put the clocks back as British Summer Time ends this month
- 10 Wife pays loving tribute to former Stevenage Mayor Howard Burrell
“The council is really pleased that the markets have thrived since the changes were made,” said Cllr Ian Knighton, NHDC portfolio holder with responsibility for markets.
“It will be more cost effective for Hitchin Market Limited to take responsibility for cleaning and getting rid of rubbish at markets. This will save NHDC money that can be spent on other services for residents.”
The market is open on Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.