Hitchin Market to remain private
HITCHIN Market will remain private for the next two years, after an agreement was renewed with its contractor last week.
North Herts District Council (NHDC) made the decision to renew the contract with Hitchin Market Limited, which has been in charge of the market’s operation for the past three years.
The company is also responsible for maintaining the site and keeping it clean and tidy.
“We are delighted that NHDC have extended our contract to continue running the market at Hitchin,” said market manager Tony Howes.
“Since we took over the operations running, the number of visitors coming to the market and traders selling goods has risen steadily. We are proud that we can make Hitchin Market a more vibrant place to shop with more variety.”
You may also want to watch:
The market has won a series of awards since being run by the company, including Britain’s Best Private Market last year.
NHDC said that it was pleased to have extended the initial agreement.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 5 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“The council is really pleased that the markets have thrived since the changes were made,” said Cllr Ian Knighton, NHDC portfolio holder with responsibility for markets.
“It will be more cost effective for Hitchin Market Limited to take responsibility for cleaning and getting rid of rubbish at markets. This will save NHDC money that can be spent on other services for residents.”
The market is open on Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.