Hitchin man sets 2,000 mile cycle challenge
A HITCHIN man will cycle 2,000 miles in under three weeks for charity, after pedalling 1,000 miles from John O’Groats to Land’s End last year and deciding to make things “a little more challenging”.
Tim Wallis, of Sturrock Way, will cycle from Hitchin to John O’Groats, John O’Groats to Land’s End and Truro back to Hitchin to raise money for the British Paralympic Association and Alzheimer’s Society.
It follows a similar challenge he took on last year as part of the first Deloitte Ride Across Britain (RAB).
“I really enjoyed the ride last year, and thought that this time round I’d make it more challenging,” said the 39-year-old, who will celebrate his 40th birthday while on his challenge.
“Training is going well. I work in Milton Keynes, and cycle the 30 miles each way from Hitchin every day.
“A couple of people may join me for some of it, but a lot of it I’ll be on my own.
“A friend’s father was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease nearly two years ago and is now sadly in the advanced stages. I have learnt what it’s like for both her family and her father to live with dementia.
- 1 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 8 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 9 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
“Any sufferers of Alzheimer’s or dementia in general need a good support network of friends and family but also need to think they are independent too.”
Tim set off this week to the French Alps to put in some altitude training for his challenge ahead.
He will set off on June 4, cycling the first seven days by himself, go on to complete the RAB again, before returning back to Hitchin from Truro in three days.
To donate to the cause, visit www.justgiving.com/tim-wallis40