Hitchin man's petition to oust PM rockets
A PETITION started in Comet country calling for Gordon Brown to resign has gathered over 25,000 signatures in a week. Dr Kalvis Jansons from Hitchin posted the petition on number 10 s own website only last Wednesday but it has already proved hugely succe
A PETITION started in Comet country calling for Gordon Brown to resign has gathered over 25,000 signatures in a week.
Dr Kalvis Jansons from Hitchin posted the petition on number 10's own website only last Wednesday but it has already proved hugely successful, rising to the fifth most popular petition on the site.
Dr Jansons said: "It shows people are very, very disillusioned. And the interesting thing is there are about as many Labour supporters, like myself who are disillusioned with Gordon Brown, as Conservatives signing up.
"The party has no chance of winning the election with Brown at its head."
The petition snowballed after Dr Jansons posted a link to the petition on an online register and internet users picked it up and forwarded it on in their hundreds.
The academic mathematician has tried many times to get a similar petition on the site which declares 'petitioners may freely disagree with the Government or call for changes of policy'.
- 1 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 2 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 3 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 4 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 5 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 6 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 7 £3k thank you to Lister for pregnant wife's bleed on brain care
- 8 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 9 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
- 10 North Herts Sanctuary announces plans to continue support amid service changes
"It was a big battle to get it on in the first place," he said, "But they could see that I was just going to keep on.
He added: "I've had 1,000 emails of support and only one complaint.