Hitchin man in seven-month marathon challenge
COMPLETING one half marathon or Ironman challenge would be more than enough for most people, but one man from Comet country has completed the feat six times over, and he’s not even finished yet.
Andi Woolass, of Old Park Road, Hitchin, kicked off his fundraising mission with the three peaks in June, and has completed a different challenge every month since.
He will take part in his seventh – and final – feat next month, a 33 mile ultra marathon along Dorset’s Jurassic coast.
The father-of-two is raising money for Teenage Cancer Trust, after his cousin was diagnosed with bone cancer at 18.
“What I am doing is nothing compared to challenge [my cousin] has been through for the last two years, and will continue to go through,” he told the Comet.
You may also want to watch:
“It pales in some respects.”
Andi’s completed challenges included Hitchin Hard Half, a half Ironman triathlon, and Scotland’s Coast2Coast.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
But before June, he had never even attempted a half marathon before, with 10k the furthest he had ever ran.
“I’ve been running from Canary Wharf to King’s Cross on my commute, as that’s the only way to balance it with family life,” said the 32-year-old.
“My daughters both understand what I’m doing. The youngest is always very concerned when I come home [from a challenge], she says ‘daddy, is your body hurting’, and the eldest made me a lucky shamrock, so I take that with me.”
On his next event, he added: “I was thinking of doing a half marathon, but thought as I had already done two, it almost wasn’t a big enough challenge.
“I’m nervous, I’ve never ran further than 17 miles. The aim is not to come last, completion has always been the challenge!”
Andi has raised �2,300 so far, but wants to hit his target of �4,000.
To sponsor him, click on the link in the top right-hand corner.