Hitchin man in 2,500 mile rally for armed forces charities
A MAN is setting out on a 2,500 mile driving rally across several countries to raise money for armed forces charities.
Gary Hammond, from Cambridge Road, Hitchin, is taking part in his first rally in August, and will cover five countries in a week.
He will be part of a 50-strong team made up of people from across the country, who aim to raise �100,000 for Help for Heroes and the Royal British Legion between them.
“It’s my first rally, I’ve never done anything like this before,” said the 50-year-old IT consultant.
“The reaction we have got has been tremendous. We’ve had people coming up and saying ‘we’re so glad you’re doing this’.
You may also want to watch:
“You hear of people being killed in Afghanistan, and there’s 10 times that amount with life changing injuries. But there are those there to help families of those injured. That’s really why I’m doing this - to raise funds, to raise awareness and to get people involved.”
The rally, which will take place in August, will start at the Top Gear test track in Surrey, and will then head to France, Italy, Switzerland and Germany.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
Gary is taking on the journey with his partner in his Jaguar XF, although he will be doing all of the driving.
He is already busy fundraising for the event, and was in Hitchin Market Place on Saturday with his car and members of the Hitchin branch of the Royal British Region and Sea Cadets. They raised �490.
“I want to say thank you to all those people, and their incredible support,” he added.
To sponsor Gary, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/SharkInThePool