Hitchin man’s family campaign for justice following death eight days after asbestos-related cancer diagnosis
PUBLISHED: 17:06 06 April 2019
The family of a Hitchin man who died just eight days after being diagnosed with asbestos-related cancer are campaigning for justice.
John Ransome died on May 5 last year, aged 81, just over a week after being diagnosed with mesothelioma – a form of terminal cancer linked to asbestos exposure. His diagnosis came as a result of collapsing at home.
In the early 1960s, Mr Ransome worked for Stator Electrical Ltd in Enfield.
He revealed to his family he would often have to crawl through lofts and ceiling voids with pipes insulated by asbestos.
His wife, Valerie, said: “I have been left devastated by John’s death.
“He was the most wonderful, loyal and caring husband and dad who was everything to me. I still cannot believe he has gone.
“What makes it harder to come to terms with is how quickly he died. We had only just started to come to terms with his diagnosis when he died.
“I’m devastated by the fact that we never got to say goodbye properly.”
As well as wife Valerie, John also left behind his two daughters, Yvonne Short and Tracey Rohse.
“Dad was fit and healthy for his age. He kept active and would walk into town to buy a paper and go shopping and he would go out to meet friends,” said eldest daughter Yvonne.
“I was chatting with dad the day before he died. He was talking fine and did not appear in any pain. The next thing we received a phone call the following morning saying he had died in the night.
“While nothing can make up for dad’s death we just want to find out if more could have been done to prevent his exposure to asbestos. We would be extremely grateful to anyone who can help us with this.
“Any information could be vital in getting answers regarding the illness which took his life.”
The family has instructed lawyers Irwin Mitchell to investigate John’s exposure.
Specialist lawyer Lacey St James said: “This is yet another incredibly tragic case which highlights the devastating impact that asbestos exposure can have.
“His family remain devastated by their loss but are keen to gain answers regarding just how he came to be exposed to asbestos. With this in mind, we would be grateful to anyone who can provide information regarding these employers and the working conditions John would have faced.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.