Hitchin man, 82, found guilty of rape and other historic sex offences
- Credit: Archant
An 82-year-old man has been found guilty of a series of historic sexual offences, including rape.
Vincent Mitchell, of Lodge Farm Cottages in Kings Walden, appeared before Cambridge Crown Court on Friday charged with nine counts of varying sexual offences.
He was found guilty of raping a girl aged 14 in May 1976 through to May 1978, as well as indecent assault on a female and committing an act outraging public decency by behaving in an indecent manner during the same period.
Mitchell was also found guilty of gross indecency with a girl and a boy, both under 14, in separate incidents which both took place between May 1982 to October 1983.
The jury could not reach a verdict on other counts of gross indecency with a girl and boy under 14 and found him not guilty on one count of rape on a female and indecent assault on a female.
You may also want to watch:
Mitchell will be sentenced in the week commencing October 13.
- 1 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 2 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 5 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 8 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 9 Armed Forces Day 2021: Great day promised with pop-up museum and Spitfire fly-past
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory