Hitchin Lisa’s charity efforts are going swimmingly
- Credit: Archant
A group of Hitchin swimmers are taking part in a charity challenge this month for a cause close to their heart.
Lisa Montague from Hitchin along with her younger sister Tessa and her two friends are swimming four kilometres between them at the Macmillan All Out Swim challenge, held at Letchworth Outdoor Pool on Saturday, September 10.
They are taking part as Team Blackfish to raise money for Macmillan as last year Lisa was diagnosed with breast cancer.
Lisa told the Comet how all her friends and family rallied round and helped her through a lousy year – whether it was from thoughtful texts and emails, to gifts of books and ointments or full meals delivered to the door for her family when she was out of action – or children being swept off for weekends away when everyone was exhausted.
There were several essential nights out and some supportive swearing when things looked bad, too, and also practical help so she could carry on with living and get her business Blackfish Swimwear off the ground.
Lisa said: “Everyone reacts to the news in very different ways – some feel a need to write a blog, some need to go to ground, some need to get busy.
“Whatever your coping mechanism friends and family give help endlessly in many different ways, from the small to the big gesture.
- 1 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 8 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 9 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
“All of those gestures means such a lot to the person who receives them and all of them are massively appreciated.
“Macmillan are an institution who work tirelessly to help others so we wanted to support them in helping others who need more help over and above what families and friends can provide.”
The challenge equates to around 40 lengths of an Olympic size swimming pool and every member of Team Blackfish will be taking on 20 lengths each.
If you’d like to sign up to the event you can register at macmillan.org.uk/alloutswimletchworth.