Hitchin Lisa’s charity efforts are going swimmingly
- Credit: Archant
A group of Hitchin swimmers are taking part in a charity challenge this month for a cause close to their heart.
Lisa Montague from Hitchin along with her younger sister Tessa and her two friends are swimming four kilometres between them at the Macmillan All Out Swim challenge, held at Letchworth Outdoor Pool on Saturday, September 10.
They are taking part as Team Blackfish to raise money for Macmillan as last year Lisa was diagnosed with breast cancer.
Lisa told the Comet how all her friends and family rallied round and helped her through a lousy year – whether it was from thoughtful texts and emails, to gifts of books and ointments or full meals delivered to the door for her family when she was out of action – or children being swept off for weekends away when everyone was exhausted.
There were several essential nights out and some supportive swearing when things looked bad, too, and also practical help so she could carry on with living and get her business Blackfish Swimwear off the ground.
Lisa said: “Everyone reacts to the news in very different ways – some feel a need to write a blog, some need to go to ground, some need to get busy.
“Whatever your coping mechanism friends and family give help endlessly in many different ways, from the small to the big gesture.
- 1 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 2 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 3 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
- 4 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 5 Stevenage PE teacher's charity run after leg amputation
- 6 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 7 Summer Sand pit opens in Stevenage
- 8 'Expect delays' during week-long gas works at Stevenage roundabout
- 9 Assault victim left with punctured lung after Hitchin 'scuffle'
- 10 Stevenage fundraising day in memory of much-loved Peter
“All of those gestures means such a lot to the person who receives them and all of them are massively appreciated.
“Macmillan are an institution who work tirelessly to help others so we wanted to support them in helping others who need more help over and above what families and friends can provide.”
The challenge equates to around 40 lengths of an Olympic size swimming pool and every member of Team Blackfish will be taking on 20 lengths each.
If you’d like to sign up to the event you can register at macmillan.org.uk/alloutswimletchworth.