Hitchin lad Findlay’s fantastic day is special Sarries score
- Credit: Archant
A brave youngster had a day to remember as mascot for a top sports team following the death of his dad.
Findlay Markiewicz-Edwards, a Year 5 pupil at William Ransom Primary School in Hitchin, was given the chance to lead the Saracens rugby union side out before a league game at the club’s Allianz Park stadium in London.
The nine-year-old’s stepfather Ben Elliott, from Manton Lane in Hitchin, said: “Findlay has been so brave. His dad Bryan Edwards passed away in January 2014.
“Findlay plays for Hitchin Rugby Club’s U10 Falcons, he absolutely loves rugby and loves playing for Hitchin and one of the reasons he stuck at playing after what happened was because of the enthusiasm of the coaches there.
“We decided to send a letter to Saracens telling them about Findlay.
You may also want to watch:
“They got back to us and kindly said he could be mascot for their home league game against London Welsh.
“It was a tremendous gesture. He was counting down the days and couldn’t wait.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
“He loved the day – Saracens won 78-7, a huge margin.
“Findlay’s favourite player is Owen Farrell and he got 10 conversions and a penalty goal.
“Although Findlay didn’t get the chance to talk to Owen he led the team onto the pitch before the game, with the South African No. 8 Ernst Joubert, who was very nice to Findlay. He said to him to make the most of it.
“Findlay was very keen to get back to Hitchin to tell his coaches and teammates – but by absolute coincidence Finlay’s team were there at the game!
“We’d like to thank Saracens for being good enough to provide the whole family with tickets, a club shirt and a family tour – as well as giving Findlay a day to never forget!”
Findlay added: “It was an awesome day.”