Hitchin jazz singer wins international competition
A JAZZ singer who grew up in Comet country has been trumpeted at an acclaimed international competition. Hitchin-born Sarah Ellen Hughes flew to Lithuania this month to compete in the 9th International Jazz Vocalist Competition and came home with the top
A JAZZ singer who grew up in Comet country has been trumpeted at an acclaimed international competition.
Hitchin-born Sarah Ellen Hughes flew to Lithuania this month to compete in the 9th International Jazz Vocalist Competition and came home with the top prize.
The 27-year-old impressed a panel of judges to claim the Grand Prix award, beating a diverse field containing entrants from all corners of the globe including Japan, USA and Russia.
Sarah, who went to Highover JMI in Hitchin and The Highfield School in Letchworth GC, said: "I was singing at a jazz club in London and met the director of an international competition in Poland. He invited me to that but I couldn't attend so I put in an internet search for international jazz competitions and found this one, so just decided to enter. It is brilliant to have won it as it is really important to raise my profile internationally."
Sarah began singing jazz 10 years ago with the North Herts Youth Jazz Orchestra and has not stopped since, with regular performances in London.
"I have just released my first album and in April, May and June I have got a tour to try and promote it. In June the World Cup is on so I'll be competing against that. Hopefully people will choose jazz over football!
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 7 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 8 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Tens of thousands donated to charity by Hitchin-based construction company
"I used to have a job as a full-time teacher and sometimes singing has been so difficult to make money. But I won't give up because it is starting to get better - people are starting to call me more and more and hopefully winning this competition will help."
Sarah's tour kicked off on Sunday at Clare College, Cambridge, and will take in another 23 venues across the country, including The Spice Of Life in London on June 2.
To find out more about the tour and her debut album Darning the Dream visit www.sarahellenhughes.co.uk