Hitchin flyover project still on track
THE multi-million pound Hitchin flyover project is still on track, says Network Rail.
The company told the Comet this week the project will be completed by the summer, in time for the December 2013 timetable.
It follows an open day held for members of the public on Saturday, where staff were on hand to answer questions about the �47m scheme.
More than 200 people went along to the event.
A Network Rail spokesman said: “We had a number of displays on show and staff were on hand to answer questions about the building process. We also ran bus tours around the site – these proved popular and were fully subscribed.
“We are building a flyover at Hitchin to prepare for increased demand on the East Coast Main Line. The flyover will carry trains between London and Cambridge over the main line, opening up one of the main bottlenecks at Cambridge Junction.
“It will make a real difference to passengers who travel on the East Coast mainline, as well as people travelling to Cambridge and beyond.”
- 1 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 2 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 3 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 4 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 5 Stevenage Railway Station: Normal train service resumes after major repairs
- 6 Chocolates sold at Tesco stores recalled after health risk discovered
- 7 Baby Asian elephant calf named 'Queen' at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 Two arrests made in connection with Stevenage brawl
- 9 100 Herts police officers to carry nasal spray to prevent drug deaths
- 10 Possible changes to bin collections in North Herts
Network Rail has started major rail works for the project, and is currently completing work on the new viaduct and embankment.
It hopes to install the Hitchin North Junction at Christmas and start laying the track on the viaduct in February.
It follows the installation of the main structure in July, which coincided with a visit from MP Eric Pickles.
“The building work is on time and on budget and we are really pleased with the interest shown by the community in the project,” added the spokesman.