Hitchin firm’s plea for help so Letchworth girl with genetic disorder can get dream bedroom
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin firm is looking to the community to help give a 17-year-old Letchworth girl with a genetic disorder the bedroom she craves.
Nikita Fairclough lives with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome – a connective disorder affecting her joints and autonomic system – and has missed out on a lot over the years.
But the paint-spraying and property maintenance team at Just Spray are determined to provide Nikita with a bigger room on the ground floor of the Glebe Road house to reflect her personality and not her medical condition.
Mum Lara Fairclough said: “Nikita has not been able to participate in a lot of things kids her age do.
“But she is determined not to let any of this get in the way of achieving all that she wants in life.
You may also want to watch:
“Of course she is still trying to come to terms with a lot of things but she is getting there. She is a truly remarkable girl.
“Over the last year her very small bedroom has become full of medical equipment and looks more like a hospital room than a teenager’s bedroom.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
“Nikita is desperate for her room to reflect something of her and not her medical needs, which would be much more relaxing to her.”
Last year Just Spray carried out its first goodwill project to give MS sufferer Lee Gibbs the garden of his dreams, and director Lee Hodgkins is hoping for the community’s support once more. Lee – who has already been supported by Huxley Electrical Services, A&H Property, ASK Physio and Herts Timber – hopes to start the week-long project on Monday, July 27.
But the team still need a carpenter and donations of wood flooring and home furnishings, as well as any helpers willing to give up their time for a good cause.
Lee said: “Hard work, determination and doing good things in the community pay dividends and gives a business a good name.”
If you can help, get in touch with Lee by calling 07932 254538 or visit www.justspray.co.uk.