Hitchin firefighters free triple crash victim – as man arrested for drink-driving
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters using specialist cutting equipment freed a man trapped after a three-car crash which saw a man arrested for drink-driving last night in Hitchin.
The man was arrested after providing a positive breath test in the wake of the crash, which happened at the junction of Stotfold Road and Grovelands Avenue.
Two Hitchin fire crews worked tirelessly for more than 30 minutes to cut the roof off a Peugeot 206 to free a man from the pile-up.
Their prompt actions allowed medics more space to help stabilise the man, before he was taken to the Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
The triple smash happened at around 7.25pm – with Stotfold Road closed along to the Gardiners Arms until 9.15pm.
A passer-by told the Comet: “There was a minimum of three police cars, two ambulances and two fire engines – with flashing blue lights everywhere, lighting up the darkness.”
A spokesman for Hitchin Fire Station said: “Our fully-trained trauma care firefighters worked in partnership with the ambulance service.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
“If people would like advice on road safety or would like the fire service to visit their community group to highlight such issues please call Hitchin Fire Service on 01462 666800.”