Hitchin Fire Station’s Blue Light’s is a huge hit in promoting safety awareness

Children listen to firefighter Kev Smith at the fire safety day

Children listen to firefighter Kev Smith at the fire safety day - Credit: Archant

Fire, road and home safety messages were spread by Hitchin Fire Station at the weekend to promote good practice, and potentially save a life.

Hitchin fire and rescue crew commander Rachael Broom, Noah, 8 and Mathilda Start, 8 and firefighter

Hitchin fire and rescue crew commander Rachael Broom, Noah, 8 and Mathilda Start, 8 and firefighter Kev Smith - Credit: Archant

Saturday’s event, called the Blue Light Experience, highlighted the dangers of hot oil, as well as informing people what to do in a car crash.

Watch commander Mark ‘Budge’ Burgess said: “As the winter draws in it is even more important that consideration is given to your personal safety and fire safety in your homes, and the homes of your loved ones.

“We’d like people to follow simple guidelines, and make sure everyone in your house is aware of possible risks. If you would like a free home safety visit please call 0300 1234 046.”

Hitchin fire and rescue crew commander Rachael Broom, Noah, 8 and Mathilda Start, 8 and firefighter

Hitchin fire and rescue crew commander Rachael Broom, Noah, 8 and Mathilda Start, 8 and firefighter Kev Smith - Credit: Archant

Shark Finn, 10 and Ben Patane, 8 with their insect hotels

Shark Finn, 10 and Ben Patane, 8 with their insect hotels - Credit: Archant

L-R Harriet Riddle, 9, Yssy Horne, 9, Claudia Condon, 9 and Jessie Foster, 7 show off their insect h

L-R Harriet Riddle, 9, Yssy Horne, 9, Claudia Condon, 9 and Jessie Foster, 7 show off their insect hotels - Credit: Archant

Josh Horne, 7 with his insect hotel

Josh Horne, 7 with his insect hotel - Credit: Archant

Girls attending a fire safety day and a hedgehog rescue event have a go at making an insect hotel

Girls attending a fire safety day and a hedgehog rescue event have a go at making an insect hotel - Credit: Archant

A girl attending a fire safety day and a hedgehog rescue event with her insect hotel

A girl attending a fire safety day and a hedgehog rescue event with her insect hotel - Credit: Archant

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter