Hitchin fire finally out after 16 hours
- Credit: Archant
A blaze which firefighters had been tackling for nearly 16 hours is finally out.
Fire crews were called to Winters Recycling, at Winters House on Hunting Gate in Hitchin, just before 9.30pm last night (Tuesday).
Overnight a total of nine fire crews from across the county were on site, trying to bring the fire, which was well alight on the ground and first floor, under control.
The industrial unit houses recycling waste, and machinery was used to separate the waste which had not yet caught fire from that which had.
It is believed 40% of the unit’s contents was well alight.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was fully extinguished just before 1.15pm today (Wednesday).
The cause of the fire was noted as accidental following an investigation by the fire service.
- 1 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 2 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 3 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 4 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 7 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 10 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment