Hitchin fire finally out after 16 hours
- Credit: Archant
A blaze which firefighters had been tackling for nearly 16 hours is finally out.
Fire crews were called to Winters Recycling, at Winters House on Hunting Gate in Hitchin, just before 9.30pm last night (Tuesday).
Overnight a total of nine fire crews from across the county were on site, trying to bring the fire, which was well alight on the ground and first floor, under control.
The industrial unit houses recycling waste, and machinery was used to separate the waste which had not yet caught fire from that which had.
It is believed 40% of the unit’s contents was well alight.
The fire was fully extinguished just before 1.15pm today (Wednesday).
The cause of the fire was noted as accidental following an investigation by the fire service.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening