Hitchin’s town centre nominated for national high street award
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Hitchin’s town centre has been named as a finalist in the Great British High Street Awards 2019.
The government-led initiative has highlighted Hitchin as one of three 'Champion Award' finalists for England. Under the category, high streets are judged on the success of their community, customer experience, environmental impact and digital transformation.
Having an "exceptionally strong commmunity who are leading the way to the high streets of the future," Hitchin town centre will compete against Grimsby's Freeman Street and Belper's Belper Town to see who is crowned the UK's best.
High Streets Minister Jake Berry said: "The government awards celebrate the dedicated shop keepers, committed volunteers and forward-thinking councils who are creating vibrant and dynamic high streets that are loved by their communities."
Last year, there were more than 200 entries to the Great British High Street Awards.
You may also want to watch:
Public voting counts for 20% of the final score and a panel will visit the town on Tuesday, September 10 to determine the final 80% of the vote.
To vote for Hitchin, go to thegreatbritishhighstreet.co.uk/high-street-of-the-year-awards/champion-finalist-hitchin
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 3 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 10 Delta variant makes up more than half of new cases across Herts areas