Hitchin father and son scale Ben Nevis to raise money for Stevenage hospital
- Credit: Archant
A father and son completed the challenge lifetime and raised over £400 for charity by successfully climbing Ben Nevis - the UK’s highest mountain.
Daniel Nazari, 10, from Hitchin and his father Farzim Nazari, climbed 1,344 metres to the summit of the Scottish mountain on Sunday, June 27 after hearing about the East and North Herts Hospital Trust Magic of Play Appeal, which aims raise £250,000 to build a new playroom in the children’s ward at Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
Daniel, who completed the task in 7 hours and 11 minutes and raised £435 for the charity, was treated at the hospital four years ago for acute appendicitis.
He said: “I remember using the playroom, the toys and the games, which took my mind off being in hospital.
“My sister also played there when she came to visit me. The aim of the appeal is to raise funds to fix the playroom for the children being treated there. I think it’s a great idea because it helped me when I was getting better in hospital”
The pair were inspired to take part in this hike after reaching Mount Snowdon’s summit last year.
Claire Mugford, fundraiser from the charity said: “Daniel is one amazing and very brave young man who has such strength and determination. We are so grateful for Daniels support and the terrific amount of money raised. He enjoyed it so much he’s already planning his next climb.”
- 1 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 2 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 3 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 4 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 5 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 6 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 7 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 9 Come on feel the noise: Tisdale excited to experience a first Stevenage home game
- 10 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week