Hitchin father and son scale Ben Nevis to raise money for Stevenage hospital
- Credit: Archant
A father and son completed the challenge lifetime and raised over £400 for charity by successfully climbing Ben Nevis - the UK’s highest mountain.
Daniel Nazari, 10, from Hitchin and his father Farzim Nazari, climbed 1,344 metres to the summit of the Scottish mountain on Sunday, June 27 after hearing about the East and North Herts Hospital Trust Magic of Play Appeal, which aims raise £250,000 to build a new playroom in the children’s ward at Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
Daniel, who completed the task in 7 hours and 11 minutes and raised £435 for the charity, was treated at the hospital four years ago for acute appendicitis.
He said: “I remember using the playroom, the toys and the games, which took my mind off being in hospital.
“My sister also played there when she came to visit me. The aim of the appeal is to raise funds to fix the playroom for the children being treated there. I think it’s a great idea because it helped me when I was getting better in hospital”
You may also want to watch:
The pair were inspired to take part in this hike after reaching Mount Snowdon’s summit last year.
Claire Mugford, fundraiser from the charity said: “Daniel is one amazing and very brave young man who has such strength and determination. We are so grateful for Daniels support and the terrific amount of money raised. He enjoyed it so much he’s already planning his next climb.”
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust