Hitchin doctor hangs up stethoscope for final time
A DOCTOR is retiring, after practising for 34 years – his whole working life – at a Hitchin doctor’s surgery.
Dr John Machen, a senior partner at Regal Chambers Surgery, will leave at the end of the month.
During his time in practice, the surgery has moved from premises at its old site in Marshall House and, more recently, through a major refurbishment.
When he joined fresh from training in 1978, prescriptions and consultations were handwritten, and appointments put in a book.
Now, they are all done online.
Dr Machen will have a leaving party, and patients have been writing in a memory book for him.
Yvonne Pope, surgery business manager, said: “It’s full of lovely anecdotes of his time as their family GP and shows how much he has been valued by the people of Hitchin.
- 1 Person dies after being hit by train between Hatfield and Finsbury Park
- 2 Four vehicles crash on A602 near Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage's Forster Country: 'Secret plans' for car park and toilet block
- 4 Recap: Person 'hit by a train' between Welwyn Garden City and London
- 5 Woman's purse 'stolen' outside Stevenage Tesco
- 6 Beauty products worth 'thousands of pounds' stolen from Hitchin Sainsbury's
- 7 Apply for free tickets to see new season of The Masked Singer being filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 9 Man who exposed Jimmy Savile reveals work on another paedophile case
- 10 Wednesday rail strike action to hit commuter lines in Herts and Essex
“Everyone at the practice wishes him a long and happy retirement doing all the things he enjoys most.”