Hitchin doctor hangs up stethoscope for final time
A DOCTOR is retiring, after practising for 34 years – his whole working life – at a Hitchin doctor’s surgery.
Dr John Machen, a senior partner at Regal Chambers Surgery, will leave at the end of the month.
During his time in practice, the surgery has moved from premises at its old site in Marshall House and, more recently, through a major refurbishment.
When he joined fresh from training in 1978, prescriptions and consultations were handwritten, and appointments put in a book.
Now, they are all done online.
Dr Machen will have a leaving party, and patients have been writing in a memory book for him.
Yvonne Pope, surgery business manager, said: “It’s full of lovely anecdotes of his time as their family GP and shows how much he has been valued by the people of Hitchin.
- 1 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 2 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 3 Pick up your new look Comet every Thursday
- 4 Closure order granted for Hitchin flat after anti-social behaviour
- 5 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 6 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 9 Stevenage health lead 'appalled' as Lister stroke unit is downgraded again
- 10 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
“Everyone at the practice wishes him a long and happy retirement doing all the things he enjoys most.”