Hitchin dancers' England dream comes true
TWO young dancers who feared they would be unable to represent England at a European championship because of a lack of funding have had their dreams realised by a cleaning company and a Good Samaritan. Tyra Campbell, 12 and Nicole Grazette, nine, who
TWO young dancers who feared they would be unable to represent England at a European championship because of a lack of funding have had their dreams realised by a cleaning company and a Good Samaritan.
Tyra Campbell, 12 and Nicole Grazette, nine, who both dance with the Bex Crew street dance team based at Hitchin's Priory School, will now compete at the European Hip Hop Championships next month thanks to the generosity of Turners Cleaning and Support Services in Stevenage and an anonymous donor.
Peter Turner, owner of the cleaning company who put up half the �1,500 needed to support Tyra and Nicole at the competition in Amsterdam, said: "I thought it was a good cause. I wanted to give them a chance. I hope they do well, but even if they just give it a go that's great."
The girls' dance teacher, Rebecca Rowe, who appealed for financial help for the pair in The Comet in February, said: "The donors have been very kind, putting back into the community and a local club. We now have the money to go to the championships and the girls can realise their dreams to compete and be part of the England squad. It's fantastic and the parents and children are over the moon. We could not have done this without The Comet's help - so thank you."
You may also want to watch:
The competition takes place on June 10 to 13, with the girls competing in the solo category for their respective age groups against the best young street dancers in Europe.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust