Hitchin couple attribute 75 year marriage to ‘sharing everything’
A COUPLE who celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary on Wednesday say that sharing everything is the secret to their long and happy marriage.
Believed to be Comet country’s longest married couple, Fred and Nellie Hunter, aged 97 and 93, of Hazelwood Close, Hitchin, celebrated the rare milestone with family at their home.
The couple, who moved to the town just after they got married, have two children, six grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
They first met at a social dinner dance in Yorkshire, and married shortly afterwards when Nellie was 18.
“Mum and Dad have always believed that the success to marriage is to share everything,” said daughter Sylvia.
You may also want to watch:
“They both like bingo, and go along to Stevenage every week to play. Even though mum has problems with mobility, they always make it and catch the bus from their home.
“Dad also likes a flutter on the horses, although he’s quite particular on what he bets on.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“He’s actually very good at it. I think the bookies in Stevenage wishes he would go somewhere else!
“People are always staggered when they hear how long they have been married.”
Fred and Nellie, whose 50th, 60th and 70th wedding anniversaries appeared in The Comet, also celebrated the occasion with a party last week at RAF Henlow, where more than 60 family and friends attended.
It is believed that the current longest married couple in England is Ralph and Phyllis Tarrant from Sheffield, who celebrated their 77th wedding anniversary last summer.
*Do you know someone who has been married longer than Fred and Nellie? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or ringing 01438 866200.