Hitchin Conservative Club building up for sale
- Credit: Archant
A CONSERVATIVE Club’s building is up for sale, prompting questions over what the future of the premises will be.
The Hitchin branch’s premises, in Sun Street, have been advertised as for sale, with bids being taken by estate agent Norgans until July 12.
Speaking to the Comet yesterday (Wednesday), Hitchin Conservative Club said it was just the building for sale, not the club itself.
The club’s members own the freehold of the Grade II building and it has been claimed that the money from its sale would fund a new premises for them to move to.
Secretary Joe Pope said: “It’s the building that is up for sale, not the club. We are looking at 5 Sun Street here – the Conservative Club will still exist.
“We will be moving to a new building, which is to be decided.”
The site, which includes the three-floor main building, car park and outbuildings, already has D2 consent, which means it is permitted for use as a cinema, music and concert hall, skating rink and gymnasium, among other things.
- 1 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 2 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 3 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 4 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 8 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 9 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist
There has been speculation Wetherspoon – which is looking to open a branch in the town – was interested in the building, but the pub chain has denied it.
A spokesman said: “We haven’t looked at Conservative Club, but are still interested in the town.”
The building, which contains a bar and function rooms and is licensed to sell alcohol, is often hired out for events.
Offers are being requested only for the whole site, and cannot be made on a subject to planning basis.
Appointments to view the building can be made from today (Thursday).