Hitchin community centre debate put back as petition begins
- Credit: Archant
The debate on the future of Walsworth Community Centre which had been scheduled for Tuesday night’s North Herts District Council cabinet meeting has been put back.
The issue will be discussed at the January 27 meeting instead.
Heather Summers, who lives in the area and has started up a petition to ‘refurbish Walsworth Community Centre’, said: “It used to be a school during the war and serves a very important role in this community for so many people young and old. It would be awful if it were to close. If they had a strategy it could become even more popular than it already is.
“At the moment it seems like a forgotten area of Hitchin.”
Councillor Bernard Lovewell said: “I am fully supportive of the investment being found to keep it going for many years.”
You may also want to watch:
Search for ‘Walsworth’ on change.org to sign the petition.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising