Hitchin clubs seal a sporting legacy as Lucas Lane planning permission granted
- Credit: Archant
Members of Hitchin sporting groups were relieved last night after development plans crucial to their future were passed by the district council.
Plans to develop a first-class sporting facility at Lucas Lane, where the town’s cricket club and Blueharts Hockey Club play, were agreed by North Herts District Council’s planning committee yesterday evening.
Representatives of Hitchin Town Cricket Club Ground Ltd were at the meeting to determine their application to sell a strip of land they own adjacent to Lucas Lane for housing, and use the proceeds to fund first class sporting facilities including a new clubhouse, an artificial pitch and improvements to the cricket ground and facilities.
HTCG chairman James Wright said: “We are relieved and delighted the planning committee has approved our plans.
“This decision reflects many years of hard work to propose a balanced and considered scheme which will create a lasting sporting legacy for Hitchin and ensure the long term future of our clubs.
“We have reached a pivotal milestone in the history of both clubs, and now look forward to implementing our plans to develop first-class sporting facilities.
“As we look forward to next year, and the 150th and 70th anniversary of the cricket and hockey clubs, it’s with considerable relief that we have achieved our goal of securing the future of both clubs at Lucas Lane for many years to come.”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 5 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening