Hitchin club feared to be homeless finds new home
A SPORTS club which feared it may be homeless when its venue closed this autumn has found a new home.
Hitchin Judo Club, which currently meets in Hitchin Town Hall, has been searching for a new location for the past 12 months.
The town hall will close in October, in order to undergo a multi-million pound refurbishment.
The judo club, which has been based at the hall for 50 years, has just secured a new home at Hitchin Boys’ School Sports Centre.
Michael Orton, coach and treasurer, said: “We are delighted and relieved to have found this ideal location.
“It’s a traditional gymnasium, light and airy with a sprung floor and it will make a brilliant dojo. It’s very close to where we are now, so nobody has to re-plan their journey.”
Another club which currently uses the town hall will also be based at the grammar school from now on.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 6 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
From today, Hitchin Ki Aikido Club classes will be moved – enquiries are to be made to Louise on 07783 373982.
For more information on the judo club – including changes to sessions – use the link, top right.