Hitchin club feared to be homeless finds new home
A SPORTS club which feared it may be homeless when its venue closed this autumn has found a new home.
Hitchin Judo Club, which currently meets in Hitchin Town Hall, has been searching for a new location for the past 12 months.
The town hall will close in October, in order to undergo a multi-million pound refurbishment.
The judo club, which has been based at the hall for 50 years, has just secured a new home at Hitchin Boys’ School Sports Centre.
Michael Orton, coach and treasurer, said: “We are delighted and relieved to have found this ideal location.
“It’s a traditional gymnasium, light and airy with a sprung floor and it will make a brilliant dojo. It’s very close to where we are now, so nobody has to re-plan their journey.”
Another club which currently uses the town hall will also be based at the grammar school from now on.
- 1 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 2 Sex offender avoids jail 'by skin of his teeth' after Hitchin assault
- 3 Former Stevenage swimmer 'buzzing' to compete in Commonwealth Games
- 4 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 7 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
From today, Hitchin Ki Aikido Club classes will be moved – enquiries are to be made to Louise on 07783 373982.
For more information on the judo club – including changes to sessions – use the link, top right.