Reminisce on Christmas past, as Hitchin Christmas lights switch-on has a different look for 2020
- Credit: Archant
With lockdown 2.0 demanding a different Christmas lights switch-on for Hitchin this year, we want to take you on a trip down memory lane...
This year has ensured there are a host of changes to traditional events that normally help take over our towns in the run up to Christmas.
Normally we would be able to share moments like the Christmas lights-switch on together, but instead, the Comet are inviting you to join us in a festive flashback of previous Christmas events in the town.
The near 30ft tree has now been erected in Market Place, and has been decorated with pretty Christmas lights for all to enjoy.
And instead of the normal big switch-on event, scout groups, schools and other community groups have painted colourful baubles to go up on the tree in the coming days – retaining some of the community feel we all know and love.
You may also want to watch:
Of course, hundreds of people gathered together in Market Place last year to mark the big Christmas lights switch-on, with the famous Bancroft parade bringing Santa Claus to the town.
There was an “incredible atmosphere” as Father Christmas was joined by the Queen Mother Theatre, Pilates Pod, The Car Agents and other local businesses in 2018.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 3 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 4 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 7 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 9 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
Food stalls and special guests kept the Christmas spirit flowing in 2017, and there was even a specially decorated fire engine for the occasion!